#178 : The World Looks Red

Name : Laura Gommans
Social Site : blog 
About : "I'm Laura, I'm 23 years old and I live in Amsterdam. My blog is called theworldlooksred.com."
What is the story behind your blog's name ?
I was going to start a blog, but I had no idea what I was going to call it. I thought I should let iTunes decide, so I put my library on shuffle and the first song that came up was Sonic Youth's The World Looks Red. I thought that seemed decent, so I went with that.

What's on your iPod / DVD player at the moment ?
I'm listening a lot to Owen Pallett's album Heartland, he's one of my favorite artist of all time and I think his music is just perfect for winter. A movie that I really love right now is Hesher, and not just because Joseph Gordon-Levitt looks amazing in it and never wears a shirt, it's also just a really good movie.

What do you take with you on vacation?
As little as possible, haha. I'm a very light traveler. I travel quite a lot, so whenever it's possible I like to bring only hand luggage. I hate waiting at check-in desks and luggage belts, so I try to avoid it whenever I can. Some travelers' tips: bring only clothes in fabrics that won't wrinkle, make sure every item you bring can be combined into different outfits, bring a mini-straightener to avoid bad hair days. 

What is the one item in your wardrobe you couldn't live without?
White chiffon button-up shirts. They're pretty much what I build all my outfits around. They're just always chic and I'd rather invest in special skirts, shorts or dresses to wear underneath. 

Few things you really love about the place you live... 
It's Amsterdam, it's so beautiful! Unfortunately the world has a lot of misconceptions about this place. It's actually a really gorgeous place that's not at all dominated by drugs and prostitutes. I love all the water and the little crooked houses. 

Your favorite designers and brands? 
If I had an endless cashflow I'd be dressed in Valentino and Elie Saab every day for all eternity.  

Have you got any beauty, makeup and hair tips and stylish secrets?
Try to use a mild shampoo without sulfates and only wash your hair when you really need to. Otherwise just rinse and use a light conditioner on your ends. Also, drink lots and lots of water.

Your best fashion buy.
Throughout the years I've scored some really good coats for little money. My favorite is a 1950's moss green tweed coat with a fur collar. It makes me feel like a lady.

If you could go anywhere in the world, where? Why?
Right now, somewhere warm, a place with white beaches and palm trees and pina colada's with little umbrella's in them. We're going into winter and even though I like the coziness of winter with it's twinkling lights and hot coco, I don't function very well in the cold.

What is your favorite thing(s) to eat? I love junk food. If left unsupervised, I will eat pizza or fries.

You can't leave house without...
Like all other youngsters of the 21st century, I can't live without my phone. Other than that I'm pretty low maintenance, as long as I have my phone, my wallet and my keys I'll be fine. But I do like to bring a comb to avoid awkward fringe situations.

What sites do you visit everyday?
I write for an online magazine called NSMBL.com, so that's kind of my baby. I check it all the time. Other than that I'm a serious Facebook-addict and I have my round of online shops that I check every day. I have lost days and days of my life browsing ASOS.com.

What makes you laugh ?
Most things on Saturday Night Live, except for the really cheesy sketches and Keenan Thompson. Especially over the past decade or so, so many brilliant comedians have come from their cast. Tina Fey, Amy Poehler, Seth Meyers, Bill Hader, Andy Samberg. I also really like that Youtube clip where a chimp rides a Segway. Good stuff.

What was the last thing you bought ?
I went to the flea market last weekend and bought quite a lot of stuff. More coats, one can never have enough coats, an amazing vintage Gil Aimbez dress, some more dresses, a Star Wars t-shirt and a bunch of records. I love flea markets! 

If your life could be a film, what would it be ?
I'd reckon my life would be a bit too boring to be made into a film, but if someone decides to pick up the idea, I'd want Michael Cera to play me. Michael Cera in a wig and a dress. That would be great. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments !